Look out the window. We may have sunny skies often, but we know this is Colorado and weather can change quickly. The Old Farmer’s 2022 Almanac predicts snow showers and frigid temperatures periodically in our area through March of next year. Local weather forecasters say Denver residents have up to a 50 percent chance of a white Christmas this year (we hope).
From winter snows to summer dust, most of the dirt in your home comes from the great outdoors. It can be challenging to keep floors and carpets clean all year, but winter carpet care requires extra diligence. We have a few sure-fire carpet tips to help:
- Use door mats: Place thick, absorbent mats by entrances outside and inside your home. Ask your family and guests to use them. Establishing good habits will protect your carpets and floors for the next generation.
If your family routinely tracks in mud and slush, consider placing a boot scraper outside your most-used entrance. Boot scrapers come in a variety of styles from metal to plastic and are usually sold for under $30. Family and friends can scrape their shoes or boots free of debris before stepping over your threshold to keep your home cleaner.
- Remove shoes: Of course, asking your family and guests to remove their shoes as they enter your house is even better. Set up your entryway or mud room with a boot tray and bench (if you have space). Provide clean slippers or socks for your guests to wear around your house for a welcoming touch.
- Don’t forget Fido: Our beloved pets track in as much dirt as we do. Keep a clean towel handy and be sure to wipe off your pets’ paws immediately after they’ve been outside. If you’re dedicated and patient, you may be able to get your dog to help you in this area. Check out this fun, informative video, Teach your dog to wipe his paws. The towel would be easiest!
- Address spills quickly: Spills happen: it’s inevitable. Especially during holiday get-togethers. So, it’s best to be prepared. Keep clean, white rags and vinegar or carpet cleaner on hand. Treat a stain immediately, while it’s still wet. Blot excess fluid quickly to prevent spills from soaking through to your carpet pad. Check out this page for our in-depth advice on spot removal.
- Routinely clean carpets: Clean your carpets well and clean them often! Vacuum once a week, if not more, to keep your carpets fresh. Schedule a professional carpet cleaning every 12 to 18 months to keep your home environment healthy and your carpets in good repair. Did you know, many stain-resistant carpet manufacturer warranties require professional cleaning every two years? Be good to your floors and carpets! They’ll last much longer, stay under warranty and keep their original beauty for years to come.
A Personal Touch Carpet Cleaning has been helping keep Colorado’s carpets clean and repaired for 30 years. Ring in 2022 by scheduling your carpet or upholstery cleaning today. Call us at 720-344-2870 for a free estimate or simply schedule and appointment.
The post Five Tips to Keep Your Carpets Clean This Winter appeared first on A Personal Touch.