Carpet maintenance can seem tricky or even intimidating. After your investment of new carpet, you of course want to maintain it and extend the life of the carpet as long as possible. Your carpet acts as a filter for your home and traps a great deal of dirt, dust, and debris. In fact, over time all of these factors can actually change the color of your carpet. Here are some ways to keep your carpet in good shape:
- Even before installing the carpet, it is important to have a good foundation. This is important because it feels better under your feet and extends the life of the carpet.
- Vacuuming your carpet regularly. However, consider a quality vacuum as well because a low-quality vacuum can leave dirt and soil particles behind and also drag/scrape on the carpet and cause it to wear over time. For a list of approved vacuum cleaners from the Carpet and Rug Institute click here.
- Place entrance mats outside the door so that you and your guests can eliminate any dirt, water, debris, etc on the rug outside the home. Be sure to also clean those regularly.
- Reorganize! Reorganize your furniture to change the foot traffic in the room. This helps prevent constant wear and tear to the same pathway on your carpet!
- Place carpet protectors on the feet of your chairs, tables, etc. to redistribute the weight of the furniture evenly. This helps prevent crushing the carpet pile.
- Spot clean with the appropriate treatment.
- Help reduce the exposure to sunlight. Apply window treatments to the windows such as shades, blinds, or curtains.
- Professional cleaning. Let the experts come in and give your carpets a little TLC.
- It is particularly important to note that if you clean your carpet with soap and water that you use the correct amount. Never use excessive amounts of water and always let your carpet dry thoroughly.
You can preserve the life of your carpet by taking care of it. For a thorough list of carpet maintenance tips from the CRI visit here. For any questions about your carpet, call the experts today! The Carpet Guy’s are here to help!
The post Carpet Maintenance Tips and Tricks appeared first on The Carpet Guys.